Wednesday, August 12, 2015

KALEJI MASALA ~~ LIVER MASALA FRY

I will be honest with you. As a kid and all through my growing years, I did not like this dish at all ! I remember my mom trying her level best to persuade me to have ‘Kaleji~~liver’ since it is very high in proteins and iron! But somehow my taste buds just did not co-operate with me on this!

The change-over happened much much later – 3 years ago—to be precise ! It was when we had gone to a friends’ place for dinner and my friend served Liver Fry as a starter. She failed to mention it was liver! I, thinking it is just some ‘meat’ fry, took a bite of it, realized it was liver because of the texture, and surprisingly , LIKED IT!  It was soooo well-cooked that it totally transformed my distaste for liver!

Now, I make Liver fry as well as Liver masala … (albeit not too often since Liver is quite high in cholesterol!  And seriously, who wants more of that in one’s system!)

This is the recipe for Liver Masala that I cooked today.

KALEJI MASALA ~~ LIVER MASALA FRY



TITBIT—While feeding this to my 5 year old son, I broke up the Liver Pieces in the gravy and added some freshly squeezed lime juice and teamed it with parathas. Conclusion – He loved it !!... oh how I could capture his reaction….

Ingredients:

½ kg liver
2 medium onions (sliced)
2 medium potatoes (cut into cubes)
3 green chillies( chopped)
4 cloves garlic ( grated)
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
3 tbsp canola oil
3 cups of water

Spices:
2 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp asafetida
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp garam masala

Salt to taste

Fresh coriander (chopped) for garnish

Method:
Prep the liver by slicing it, removing the skin, into cubes. Marinate with salt and ginger-garlic paste for around 3-4 hours. The longer it marinates, the better the flavours will be!
Prep all the ingredients.

Prep all the spices.


In a thick bottomed pan, heat the oil.  Add the cumin seeds and asafetida and let it splutter.


Add the potatoes and mix well. Let it fry for around 2 minutes on high, stirring constantly.


Next, add the onions, chilies and garlic. Mix well.

Fry till the onions have softened.
Add the chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder.


Mix well. Fry for 2 minutes.


Add the chicken liver to this mixture. 


Mix well.


Add the water, bring to a boil. Add salt to taste.


Add the garam masala.


Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the liver and the potatoes are cooked.



Garnish with freshly chopped coriander.


Serve with paratha/rice and onion-coriander salad with a slice of lime !




 Enjoyy with a refreshing drink of your choice!